Monday, June 11, 2012

Decluttering a Motorola pro plus

Bloat removal. Even though I said I wouldn't do it I've started disabling the some of the packaged applications just because they were always popping up in context menus and annoying the bejesus out of me. Rather than just provide a list I'll try here to provide some information about each application so you can decide if you want it or not. Also, I'm removing these one at a time and running the phone for a week or so in order to weedle out any unintended consequences. So, this list may get longer in time, please check back if the tension is not too much for you.

There's a variety of ways you can disable these applications.
  • You need a rooted phone.
  • I'm using "ES File Explorer" from the market to rename the apks to something else (in fact I'm appending ".old" to the end of the filename so I can reverse it and restart the application easily if I need to. Note this file explorer takes a bit of fiddling with in "Settings" to do this job.
APK What's it do
7Digital.apk Alternative Music player that tries to sign you up to online services, keeps appearing when you don't want it and eats up your RAM and memory card.
gotomeeting.apk Some hideous collaboration software that would give my IT security guys a heart attack even if I could persuade anyone else to use it
RichLocation.apk Amalgamated location Social Sign in to tell all your fabulous friends exactly where you are. I don't need them to know.
RichLocation.apk Amalgamated Social Sign in to tell all your fabulous friends what you are doing (i.e. status updates). I don't need them to know any of that that either.
TTSService.apk TTS. If you don't know what it is you don't need it.
GlobalUnplug.apk This puts up a popup which tells you to switch off your charger from the wall to save energy when you unplug your charger from the phone. It can quite frankly stop that immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment