Tuesday, May 17, 2011

More Cheap Tat.

Continuing my dual pursuits to do things on the cheap with respect to a remote control for my XBMC whilst simultaneously destroying the planet by having the entire contents of e-bay shipped to me in individual packets from the other side of said planet, I received a new remote kit in the post today.

This is a replacement for the old kit which was slightly more broken than I would have liked. To my surprise and his credit the vendor sent me a replacement without even any fuss. Either excellent customer service or the more cynical side of me thinks the mark-up on these is enormous.

Interestingly, the new one appears to have additional features - fake HP stickers!
Left: Old and Busted. Right: New Goodness.

It still advertises itself on the USB bus as the "Fintek  F71610A or F71612A" but now claims externally to be HP P/N 5187-4593 or Model OVU400102/71 - it doesn't seem sure which.

I'm happy to say that both the remote and the receiver are free of the minor faults that were present in the last kit, and thanks to previous efforts worked straight away.

Fascinating Update:

The new reciever is functionally different to the old one as well! The Acer Revo that this is attached to is set to wake on a signal from the remote. On the old unit, any button on any remote (i.e. any IR activity anywhere) would cause a wake; this was mildly annoying. With the new unit, only the power button on the HP remote causes it to wake up. Life is slightly improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment